Thursday, August 30, 2007

Getting out

It seems like we are finally starting to get out and get to know our community. When we first moved here and didn't know anyone, it seemed kind of isolated...beautiful but lonely. How wrong I was! Yesterday Katie had her first soccer practice and it turns out that the mom I was sitting next to, having a great conversation with, lives in the same neighborhood as us and has a daughter the same age as Katie! Katie has a blast at her first practice and was sad that she has to wait a week to go back. :)

Then today we went to the registration and orientation day at C.H.E.S.S. (which stands for Colorado Heritage Education School System) It is a one day a week program for homeschoolers from 9-2 where they go to be with other homeschool kids and take various enrichment classes. Katie is signed up for art, music, chemistry & soccer (this is an addition to the league soccer she is already doing - so she is going to be playing a LOT of soccer this year!) The best part is, she already has a friend in the class. The family that we met up with at the pool last week is going there also and were there at the orientation. After it was over we decided to all go have a picnic at the playground, so we stopped by we Wendy's and picked up some food and spent the afternoon at the park. Katie had so much fun playing with Juiette (that is her new friend) and I had a great time talking with her mom . I think we are going to get together w/ them on Sat. & take a train ride into Denver and check out "A Taste of Colorado". It's this thing where you can try the food at all the different restuarants...mmmmm. Then Sat. night my dad and grandma get here and my mom gets in on Sunday! I'm so excited!

I also found out through some of the really nice ladies at the C.H.E.S.S. orientation that there is a Women's Bible Study, a MOPS group and AWANAS (which is like Christian girl/boy scouts) all at a church near us too. Anyway, I am really happy to be getting out and getting to know our community and finding out how much support there is for homeschooling families. I think we are going to be very busy this year and not isolated at ALL! :)

Oh I almost forgot to update how my midwife appt. went. It was actually our second time going to the birthing center, the first time was for an orientation then this week I had an actual appointment. First of all I have to say that the birthing center itself is awesome, the rooms are super cozy bedrooms with a big aquadoula tub in each room for waterbirths. I can really see myself being comfortable and at home there. The main reason I am choosing the birthing center over another homebirth is because we live 35 miles from the hospital and the birthing center is literally right next door to it. I like that in the rare chance of an emergency, we would already be right there next to the hospital. Hopefully this birth will be as normal as my first 3 and we won't have any need for it though. It's just nice to have the peace of mind that it is there if you need it. My midwife was amazing, the appt. lasted an hour and a half and most of that was spent just sitting talking, getting to know each other. She is super nice and really easy to talk to, I really think that I will be able to develop a close relationship with her over the next few months and will be a great help to me during my labor and delivery. So anyway, only 3 more weeks till we find out what this little baby is....I can't wait!!! There is something about knowing the gender (for me anyway) that lets me bond so much more with the baby. Maybe it's something about calling it and "it" that bothers me. I just love being able to say "he" or "she" and call him/her by name. I can't believe I didn't break down and do the blood test this time like I did with Kobe, maybe I am learning patience in my old age, lol. ;) So I think we narrowed the names down to Kelsey Grace or Kaleb (middle name still undecided). I can't wait to know which one it will be and can honestly say I will be equally excited either way. :)

4 comments:

*Kel* said...

I'm so glad you had such a great meeting with your midwife and you like the birthing center. That's really awesome!!

We're keeping busy here too... it seems like almost every day the boys have SOMETHING that we have to do!!!

I can't wait for you to find out what you're having... do you have any feelings one way or the other??

Anonymous said...

Glad you are meeting some new friends. That is always hard to move to a new place and not know anybody; I am sure glad we got to know you when we moved to College Station! Anyway, how does your pregnancy feel compared to your others? Are you getting a belly yet? If so, pics are past due ;)

Katrina said...

It sounds like you have a great homeschooling community to hook up with where you are -- that's so great. I'm glad both you and Katie are finding enjoying new friendships.

I can't wait to find out what you are having....just who is in there, anyway??!! It's so exciting!!

mp said...

glad you found some friends. t&m loved awanas in college station, but not so much here. also i think you will really enjoy mops and bible study. that's what my tuesday's are currently filled with.