Thursday, July 9, 2009

Update

I've been lazy lately and just using Facebook to post updates but I don't want to neglect this blog because it's such a cool way for me to look back on our lives.

So last week Kevin's "Opa" (grandfather) died. He had been sick for a while so in some ways it was a blessing that he wasn't in pain anymore but still very sad that he is really "gone". I know it's going to be very hard for his Oma now. It's so weird to me that it's not "Oma & Opa" anymore. Opa will be very missed. Because of his death and the funeral, all of Kevin's family came into town so we got to visit with alot of them, some we hadn't seen in several years. Kevin's sisters and their kids all came and stayed with us and I really enjoyed having a full house and the sounds of kids running, laughing and playing. His older sister had to leave over the weekend but his younger sister stayed till Tues and aside from a nasty stomach bug we all took turns getting, it was a lot of fun. The best day was when we went to Heritage Square in Golden and got to go on the Alpine Slide. It's a half mile slide you have to take a ski lift to get up to and you ride down on a sled. It was SO much fun!! The kids had a great time and I think we'll definitely be going back again soon.

Here are some pics: http://kcmillerfamily.shutterfly.com/2405

Everyone has gone back home now and things have settled down back to normal, but a couple new things are going on. We are trying to sell the Hummer and have someone coming to look at it today. If we sell it we are either going to get a Volvo XC90 or maybe another Toyota Sequoia.

I've been getting increasingly frustrated with the place I've been taking acting classes as the class just keeps getting larger (I think there was 20 last week) and the instructors just don't really seem to care that much about the students and just give us whatever crappy scenes they have lying around. One week me and another girl were given a scene that was for two MEN. I mean, seriously?! They don't give us scenes to challege our particular strengths and/or weaknesses, they don't spend hardly any time working 1 on 1 with us. The last couple weeks I have gone and spent 3-4 hours sitting in a chair, only getting to go up and do one scene, only to be told "Great Job, A+" and then I go sit back down. Um, thanks but I really want to be learning, being challenged and getting better. That just isn't happening. So last night I went and tried a class at a different school. What a TREMENDOUS difference! First of all, he caps the classes at 10 students and there were TWO coaches there working with the class at the same time so the ratio of students to teachers was 5:2 instead of 20:1. They were also very organized and structured and worked with us on some memorization techniques I'd never used before. The scenes were not only hand picked for each student but actually WRITTEN for each student. Holy cow! They have all these different "set" areas (kitchen, living room, dining table, bedroom, etc.) so you can do your scene in the real environment (as opposed to some folding chairs in the middle of an overcrowded room). All the things I've been so hungry for the past few weeks and not getting at the other class were ALL there. After class I stayed and talked with both the coaches for an hour and a half! They were so cool and passionate about what they do and really seem to care about helping their students reach their full potential. I'm switching over immediately. I just wish I had known about this place sooner!

I also filmed some scenes yesterday for Christian mini-series that will be used in Churches to help segway into discussions about "taboo" subjects. It was pretty cool. I'll post a link to it once it's online. I've also got two other films coming up later this month I'll be shooting and am waiting to hear back on a couple of auditions.

Ummm, what else? The kids are doing great, enjoying the sun and heat of summer. We've set up a little pool on the patio and they love to play in the water and spray each other with the hose. I signed Kobe up for league soccer in the fall! I'm so excited because we never got to do sports with Kyle and also because Kobe is showing a lot of natural athletic talent. He can run and kick a soccer ball extremely well and can even shoot it with amazing accuracy. He is also crazy fast. I am excited to see how he does on a team. Katie's cheerleading picks back up soon (they had a couple weeks off) so we're going to be very busy again soon. Kaleb is talking more and more every day and is quickly turning more into a toddler than a baby. It makes me sad but happy at the same time. On one hand I will REALLY miss all the sweet, cute baby stuff but on the other hand I'm ready for things to be easier and have all older children.

Well I think that's about it for now!

2 comments:

Laura said...

Don't get the Volvo - the headrests in the back tilt forward and you cannot remove them - makes the vehicle incompatible with car seats totally!

The new acting place sounds great! Can't wait to see your filming online!

Wow - I can't picture little Kobe on a soccer team - to me he is this little 1 year old I hugged in Boston those years ago! How time flies!

mp said...

can't wait to see pics of kobe playing soccer!

great update!