Katie:
Height: 4ft. 7 1/2 in (81st percentile)
Weight: 74 lbs (67th percentile)
Kobe:
Height: 42 in. (95th percentile)
Weight: 40 lbs (90th percentile)
Kaleb:
Height: 34 3/4 in (88th percentile)
Weight: 24.4 lbs (16th percentile)
(Weights taken after bath time w/no clothes and heights were taken on tile floor with no socks or shoes)
I noticed that ever since Kaleb started running around, he actually lost weight and I've been concerned that he doesn't seem to be gaining so I decided to measure him and check his growth percentiles. I was alarmed to see he is in the 40th percentile for weight because in his first year he was above the 99th percentile (as were all my kids for at least the first 3 years then they slowed a bit) Anyway, that's a BIG drop from the 99th percentile to the 40th. He seems to be growing ok for height but his weight has me a little concerned. He doesn't eat well at all, he just picks at his food and when I do manage to get him to take a bite, half the time he spits it out. The only foods he really likes are fruits which have almost no calories. He is still nursing and I'm wondering if that is part of the reason his growth has slowed and he doesn't want to eat that much. If he'd always been on the thinner, smaller side, I wouldn't be so worried, but he hasn't. He was a big, chunky baby and always at the top of the charts. It's the sudden change in his growth that has me concerned. I'm really going to try and make an effort to get some high calorie foods into him. This is so strange to me because all my kids have been huge and great eaters. So operation "fatten up Kaleb" is officially in effect. :)
3 comments:
Have you discussed this with your ped? After all we've been through with Maddie the specialists as well as our ped have concluded that she "reset" her growth curve as some kids often due as they get older.
Keep in mind that every child is different and just because all your other kids followed a similar growth pattern, doesn't mean that Kaleb will follow suit. And I'm totally not saying that to be negative or downplay your concerns, actually my intent is the opposite. Hopefully it will ease your worry, but I would definitely give your ped a call and inquire about bringing him in for a weight check/consult if you are at all concerned. I'm sure they will want to take a head circumference since they follow that pretty closely as well until they hit 3yo. If anything they can refer you to a clinical nutritionist who can give you suggestions on how to get more calories into him.
I think Nathan was about 23lbs at 2yo, 28lbs at 3yo, and 33lbs at 4yo if that give you any indication of weight gain in smaller/thinner kids...LOL. Good luck!!!
I second Angela's comment - I'd talk to your ped first. To me, it doesn't sound like much to be concerned about since I have Mr. Picky eater/tiny boy also, so Angela and I come from the same perspective.
morgan had chocolate milk for breakfast today and I thought about Kaleb :)
Post a Comment