Saturday, December 12, 2009

Stuff

All the Christmas shopping is done, we just need to wrap everything and we'll be ready for Christmas! My mom is coming down on the 22nd and staying for 3 weeks - I can't wait! Then after Christmas we will be packing everything up because we move to the new house on Jan. 2nd! It's going to be kind of crazy but I'm so excited to get into the new house. It's just going to be SO much more convenient to everything and I'm looking forward to getting the kids into their own rooms. In this house, the kids bedrooms are upstairs and ours is downstairs so they never want to sleep in their own rooms. In the new house, all the bedrooms are on the same level and close together so it will so much easier to get them to sleep (and stay) in their own bedrooms. Once we move I will be busy setting up activities for the kids and trying to meet some new friends in the area since we will be there for at least 18 months (that's how long the lease is). I haven't made a big effort to meet other moms because I always think "we're not going to be here very long, what's the point?" but I think I need to stop thinking like that and get out there and join some moms groups so that the boys can have some friends to play with during the day. I was considering putting Kobe in pre-k next semester but he really doesn't want to go so I think we'll just wait till next fall and start him when he's 4. That's when they are "supposed" to start anyway right? Katie is a little bummed about changing schools and I feel bad for doing it to her. She has made a bunch of friends here and really likes her teacher. I'm really hoping she makes some new friends quickly and the transition isn't too hard.

So the big issue lately has been Kaleb's growth (or lack thereof) I took him to a new pediatrician and she just wants to "watch" him and have me bring him back in 3 weeks to be weighed again. I'm sitting here telling her my child hasn't gained weight in a year and she just totally dismisses my concerns and wants to keep watching him. If there is a medical reason for him not growing, I want to know NOW. I don't want to keep feeding him something that may be poison to his body so she can "watch" him. She also proceeded to give out some horrible advice and actually told me "at this age he should be forward facing in the car" - WHAT???!! Why the hell would you tell a parent that? Why would you tell them to put their child in a less safe situation when at 24 pounds and less than 2 years old he could and should still be RF? Then later in the conversation she proceeded to tell me I should stop nursing him! Yeah, that's a great idea, lets take a great source of optimal nutrition away from a child who is having growth issues. JEEZ LADY! To say I was disappointed in her would be a major understatement. I remembered quickly why I hate taking my kids to the doctor. So I think I'm going to search for a new pediatrician because how could I ever trust this lady when she gives out such horrible, dangerous and incorrect (unsolicited) advice?! I decided to just go straight to a specialist to get Kaleb tested for Celiac Disease and called a Pediatric Gastroenterologist and made an appt for him for next Monday. Hopefully they will be a little more knowledgeable and actually listen to me and take my concerns seriously.

A bit of good news, I think it's safe to say Kaleb is completely potty trained! Next to Katie, he was my easiest. He's even been napping in undies the last couple days and last night slept in his undies! I can't believe how quickly and easily he got it. We'll see if he has any regressions in the near future but I kind of doubt it. He just gets it and already tells me when he needs to pee, holds himself and makes it to the potty and pees. Usually getting them to "hold it" is the hardest part, but not for him. I'm so proud of him and happy to finally - after 4 kids - be DONE with diapers! :)

Well the boys disappeared down stairs a while ago and are being a little "too" quiet so I better get down there and check on them. They get into so much mischief together!

2 comments:

Angela said...

Good for you! I definitely agree that you need to find a new, new pediatrician. Sure turn him FF and stop BFing him, HUH???? You definitely need a moms group so that you can get referrals for good peds and other specialists. I'd be interested to hear what was this peds take was on your desire to do delayed vaccination schedule, especially since her advie thus far contradicts all your other beliefs.

Laura said...

I hope you put that ped right in his place!! Grrrrr!

Oh - Shane wanted me to ask you how you went about overnight potty training and about teaching them to wipe properly by themselves.