Saturday, February 6, 2010

Pike's Peak Cogway

This morning Kevin and I were talking about how our time in Colorado might be coming to an end soon (if this LA job transfer works out) and how there are SO many things we haven't done yet here that we really want to do. We decided to go down to Manitou Springs and ride the Pike's Peak Cogway Train to the top of Pike's Peak. We packed up and hurried out because we had to get there before noon to catch the train. Thankfully we made just in time and were able to hop on the train. The ride up was beautiful and so fun to be on a train going up a such a huge mountain! That is definitely something I've never done before. We got to the summit and it was SO windy and cold (I guess what else should I expect going to 14K feet in the beginning of February?!) We ran into the gift shop and got all the gloves and hats out of the bag and bundled everyone up and then headed out to the observation deck. That lasted about 30 seconds, lol. We posed for one picture and then ran back inside. There were 30 mile an hour wind gusts with a wind chill of negative 30!!! We had hot chocolate and donuts and hung out in the cafe and then headed back to the train. We managed to get one more picture behind the gift shop since it offered some shelter from the wind. I really wanted to get a ton of pictures from the summit but it was just too cold and windy and also foggy so you couldn't really get any pictures of the view. Oh well. It was still a lot of fun and I'm really glad we went. After we went back down the mountain and got back to the station we went out to eat in Manitou Springs (yummy polish sausage and sauerkraut), then got home made ice cream cones and walked around the down town area for a while. It's such cute little town and the kids had fun putting their hands in all the natural springs and feeling how some were warm and some were cold. Here are a few pics from the day (in reverse order because blogger is dumb like that and I don't feel like rearranging them all) :)

View from the summit

Avoiding the wind by standing behind the gift shop

Braving the wind for a picture! Click on this one to enlarge it if you want a good laugh :)










1 comment:

Laura said...

Looks like a cold, but wonderful adventure. I checked again on the transfer and things are definitely in the works.

I gave your blog an award - come by mine to check it out.