Ok, well the first good news I have to report is that I heard the baby's heartbeat for the 1st time today!!!!! I bought a doppler when I was pregnant with Kobe and decided to go ahead and try to find the heartbeat today. I'm only 9 weeks so I wasn't sure if I'd be able to hear it yet but it only took about 30 seconds of searching and there is was....clear, strong and 170 beats per minute! Katie was so excited listening to it and I think it really made it "real" to her that there is really a baby in there! I was so happy to hear that wonderful sound because so far all I have gotten is the crappy part of pregnancy...nausea, bloating, fatigue...but none of the "good" stuff. It was so awesome today to hear that little peanut's heart just thumping away. Very reassuring as well because it's a total mystery what is going on in there! Now I know that the baby is developing and nice and strong. :) Now I just can't wait to see this little bugger on ultrasound for the first time! I was telling Kevin that it's funny, even though this is my fourth baby, everything is just as exciting as it was the first time. :)
The other good news is that Kobe's head is perfectly ok! When he was about 3 months old, his metopic suture (the suture that runs vertically down the forehead) closed up too early and formed a ridge. We took him to a specialist in SA who said he wanted to watch him for signs of pressure on his brain as he grew and that our main concern would be after his fontanel (soft spot) closed. Well his soft spot just completely closed so we took him to a specialist here in Denver today and his prognosis is that Kobe's head is perfect!! He will always have a slight ridge down his forehead but it is barely noticeable. So after 16 months of worrying, I can finally relax that my baby boy does not and will not need surgery! :) YAY!
5 comments:
How sweet to hear your baby already! I tried forever with those things and nothing worked until we got the professional grade doppler for an arm and a leg, lol! Also, glad to hear Kobe's head is healing nicely! Now if you can keep him from falling down or walking into things all the time :)
I haven't noticed any ridge on Kobe's head -- this is all news to me! I'm so glad to hear he's perfectly okay, though. What a relief that must be for you.
Congratulations on hearing the baby's heartbeat!! I can't wait to find out what you are having -- will you peek or wait until the birth??
glad the appt went well!
congrats on the heartbeat. i started my period today so I'm bummed :( I was hoping for a miracle.
That's great news on all fronts!!!
Well you're 2/3 done with your first trimester so hopefully the crappy symptoms will go away soon and you can enjoy your 2nd and 3rd trimester.
Maddie still has her soft spot, and I was just wondering to myself the other day, "when is that going to close?" For the life of me I can't remember when Nathan's was gone. Oh well we have another dreaded weight check next week, so I can always ask the doctor. Glad to hear that Kobe's noggin is just fine =)
How exciting to hear the baby's heartbeat. I remember when I was 12 weeks along with Logan and they couldn't find it and had to whip out the ultrasound machine to locate him (he was hiding at the back). It was funny, I wasn't even panicked when she couldn't find the heartbeat at first. I guess I just knew everything was OK somehow.
Great news about Kobe's head!!!!! YAY!!!! You know, I have no idea if Logan's soft spot has even closed yet - I was always too nervous to go prodding around his head.
Post a Comment