



The actual date might not be the same but the Sunday before Memorial Day will always be the day we lost Kyle. I was thinking about it all day yesterday, watching Kobe and thinking that Saturday was the last full day we had with Kyle. Did I stop and appreciate it? Did I hug him and kiss him and tell him I loved him? In hindsight it seems impossible to just be living normal life and have no idea such a huge horrible things was about to happen to us. The anniversary of his death this year is especially difficult because this is the year that Kobe is the exact same age Kyle was when he died. Kyle's birthday is 3/13 and Kobe's is 3/31 - their birthdays are 2 weeks apart and Kobe's date is the reverse of Kyle's. So in just a couple weeks, Kobe will be older than Kyle ever got to be. There is an odd sort of healing in that though. In a way, I will get to experience part of what we missed with Kyle (and continue to miss) through Kobe. I have a 7 year old son, but I don't know what it's like to raise a 4,5,6,7 year old boy. At least I will get to experience that through Kobe, or at least I pray that I will. Of all people I know that you can never "expect" a tomorrow. So I'm just trying to cherish each day with the children I am blessed to have here with me and continuing to miss my sweet Kyle more than words could ever say.
This is one of the first blog posts I wrote, 2 years ago on the anniversary of the accident. The words are still just as true today as they were then. I've changed a few things to reflect the time difference.
Today is a difficult day, it is the 4 year anniversary of the accident that took Kyle's life. I've felt it approaching like a dark cloud. There is a heaviness to it that hangs over me and permeates every moment. I don't like to think back about that day, the things that I experienced that day are memories I would gladly have erased from my brain. I never want to forget a moment of my time with Kyle but the memories of that day are like a poison in my brain. They sneak up on me at the most unexpected moments, driving in the car, watching Katie, Kobe or Kaleb sleep, hearing a song on the radio will bring it all back, the flood of horrific images and memories I try to keep locked away in a dark corner of my mind. If I let myself walk around every day remembering those things, I couldn't function, I'd have to be locked away in a loony bin. How can you live and be happy while having images of your child bleeding to death in your mind? Once you have felt the coldness of death on your child's skin and watched his casket lowered into the ground, how do you ever laugh at a silly joke again? It's something I have struggled with for 4 years now. I feel like I have gotten better at it, I've learned how to contain the bad memories and lock them away and try to only remember the good. They do sneak up on me from time to time like a sucker punch to the ribs and knock the breath out of me and leave me reeling, but I have learned how to manage it and put the demons back in their cage so that I can carry on with the life that I have to keep living. One thing that hasn't changed is how damn much I miss that boy. My eyes water just typing that sentence. I never knew that missing someone could actually be physically painful, that there is a longing so deep it feels like your stomach is being ripped out. I miss so much about him, his big brown eyes that looked into a soul so much older than his 3 years, his sweet hugs and kisses, the way he danced when he had to go pee, his bed head hair in the morning, the way he adored Katie, the sound of their voices laughing and yelling and playing and fighting, his hammer punch, his love of Ninja Turtles, animals and especially sharks, how shy and quiet he was around people he didn't know, his light-up-a-room smile, the feel of his little fingers squeezing my arm like he so often did. I was the only "security object" he ever needed. He was so different than both Katie and Kobe, he had such a unique personality that was all his own and I loved - love - him so much. There aren't words to describe how much I miss him and the void his absence has left in my life. How I would love to see what he would look like now, 7 years old, no longer a baby at all, taller, older...what would his voice sound like now? What would he be into now? As the years pass sometimes I feel like I am losing him all over again, year after year. I didn't just lose my 3 year old, I lost him at every age I won't get to see him grow into. His birthday and this day always remind me of that.I think people sometimes are afraid to bring him up, like I'm not thinking about him and by saying his name they will "remind" me of him and hurt me somehow. That couldn't be further from the truth. I don't really know how to describe it but the best way I can explain is like this... If you have kids, do you forget about them if you are away from them for a couple hours? Of course not right? Your children are a part of you, even when you aren't with them. You are always thinking of them and even when you are distracted with something else, they never leave your subconscious - you are always aware of them, even in your sleep or busiest moment. That's how it is with Kyle, he is in my realm of awareness just as much as my living children. He is always in my thoughts, when I think of "my kids" there are always 4 names, 4 faces. Just because he isn't physically with me, he is still "with" me just as much as his brother and sister.
6 comments:
Thinking about you today --
You're an awesome mama and I'm quite sure you kissed him a million times and did many other wonderful mommy-things on that Saturday before. Kyle was loved to the fullest and he knew it. Just looking into those bright brown eyes of his, you can just tell -- that was one happy kid :)
((Hugs to you today))
Christine~
I wanted to send you a little note today to let you know we as a family are thinking of you guys and praying for you today. Then both Nathan and Maddie came down with fevers this morning and I got sidetracked...terrible I know.
So I guess I'll take this opportunity to let you know you guys have been in my thoughts ALL day today and pretty much this whole weekend. You are an inspiring mother and family. I often strive to be more like you - kind, compassionate, caring, patient, loving, the list goes on and on. So today we wish you peace and comfort as you confront this day.
Love always....
The Lam Family
Hey sweetie - I hope you got my text message. I talked with Katie on Friday and she said you were out acting - good to hear that! You are never far from my thoughts and of course, this past weekend especially so. We love you all.
Kyle was deeply loved and I know you kissed him and hugged him and that everything through your actions would let him know that. I know the tricks and doubts your mind can play on you, but please don't let them. I've never seen such a happy, secure and clearly loved little boy.
great post. i love to read your stories and feelings about Kyle. I'm glad that I'm not one of those people who are afraid to bring him up in conversation. wish we could be there with you guys in CO!
i am a mom of 3. 11,6 almost 7, and 20mo. boys. found your site last night. it has changed my life forever. i took the tech class just didnt take the test,ive been neurotic about car seat safety since before my first was born. this comes at an opportune time for me i guess my super elite was exchanged for a regent i couldnt get it into my van in any position with or without the bar no techs could get me in and i have no idea why the elite and husky will fit and this wont.
so i decided to try and get a locking seat belt (switchable retractor) i have elr only, and get him a booster. then i saw your video. my oldest was in the elite til he was 9. but i thought if i could get a locking belt i could put ryan in the booster. he rides in a booster to go to school in my hubbys car but not in our van where he is 99% of the time.
i cried when i seen your clip and cried and cried some more. didnt sleep. didnt get up in time this morning kids missed school. still crying a bit now. i sent it to everyone i know. hit me like he was mine. well, i cant fairly say that can i. but as i type this im not sure what to even say. i dont have latch in my van, and who would even expect your belt to fail?
did it break? did it come undone? all of these flood my mind along with images of your son in a horrific site. i even had dreams last night. bad horrific dreams. i am so very sorry. i know i must sound absolutely crazy to you. its just these are the types of things that i have always worried about. car crashes.
but not the belt failing. ive been calling techs all week trying to get my seat installed correctly and since everyone usually comes to me there was knowone but them for me to ask. then i have been on the phone with evryone you can think of to get a new belt retractor for my van. dealers, warehouses, conversion companies, seat belt sellers u name it. going crazy. now this. still would love a new belt for him and the others, but i cannot afford new belts for the whole car.
we just lost our house. that actually isnt the worst thing goin on. but i know it could be way way worse. so im not complaining, with no house payment right now and a little bit of income tax in the bank i am now buying 2 seats this week. another 5 point for ryan and a new convertible for the baby, his marathon is 6 years old now.
havent checked the radian but the frontier i just put in my van today, he doesnt have any room really to grow with the harness but the regent wont fit so...my friend bought it from me. we installed it into her van with latch in seconds it was great. in the meantime i have her husky til i find something. so i wanted to tell you thank you. and i think your story should be a commercial on tv. an add to warn parents. my husband said why dont they put that on tv that would help.
ever thought about calling networks? i think its perfect.
its odd ive been so crazy over people putting car seats in their car correctly for years stopping people if i seen something dangerous. educating people at babies r us the customers and staff alike. and i almost made a potentially fatal mistake.
thanks. from the bottom of my heart. you and your family are in my thoughts and actions. i cant even image your pain. well if im sitting here sobbing and he wasnt mine, im pretty sure you practically drowned and quit breathing. thats what i imagine.
i hope this finds you better.
thanks,
elissa stack
Your blog has really touched me...I don't know you but can feel your pain as a mother of 3 boys. Thanks for sharing, I'm sure in some way you help other mothers to appreciate their days just a little bit more.
Post a Comment