Wednesday, December 9, 2009
Kaleb Update
Well after 2 weeks of trying to stuff every high calorie food I can think of into Kaleb's mouth, he has lost 2 ounces. :( I seriously want to cry. I've made him high calorie smoothies to drink with every meal, cooking his food in butter, adding heavy cream, cheese, etc. to his foods and sitting him down to eat a lot more often than I used to. I know he's getting a ton more calories because he's pooping a lot more than he used to but none of it seems to be sticking to him. I've been researching it a lot and I suspect he may have Celiac Disease. He has a lot of the symptoms and his growth started slowing right around the time he started eating foods with gluten. When he was a baby and only breastfeeding and eating baby food (fruits, veggies and rice cereal) he was off the charts for height and weight. Then when we started introducing wheat, he basically stopped growing. I didn't catch it at the time because I assumed he was just slimming down because he was starting to walk/run. I weighed him on the scale at the doctor's office (my doctor - it wasn't a visit for him) and he was 24 pounds. That puts him in the 16th percentile and is exactly what he weighed when he was 9 months old. That means he hasn't gained a pound in 12 months. I'm taking him to the pediatrician tomorrow and having him tested for Celiac. At this point I'm almost hoping for a positive result because then I at least know how to "fix" what's wrong. I'll post again after seeing the doctor.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I hope you get an answer soon. I bet that is sooo frustrating, him not gaining weight. And yes, in a year's time he should have gained and grown. He was such a chubby and BIG baby!
Keep us posted!
Post a Comment