Well things have been pretty eventful over here to say the least! Last night my mom took Lily out to go potty and she got off her leash and ran out in the street. A guy had to stop his car because she ran in front of him and he told my mom that he just saw a mama bear and her cub running down the street and that she should get the dog inside if she didn't want it to be a bear snack. So apparently there is a bear family in our area. We REALLY need to get the fencing up for the dog run and around the kids play area so that I can relax when we are outside. I'm constantly looking over my shoulder now when I go out.
So today has been nuts, this morning my dad took Katie to drama camp and took our car so that she could ride in her carseat. About 10 minutes after they left I hear sirens and see an ambulance racing down our street. I get that little pang of worry but think it's probably nothing. Then 2 minutes later a firetruck comes racing down the street and skids to a stop RIGHT in front of our house. I'm thinking "what the?...", so I walk outside and see what is going on. Well the hose fell off the truck and got wound up in the tires and the firefighter is under the truck trying to unwind it. I also see a huge plume of smoke coming from the bottom of the hill at the entrance to our subdivision. Remembering the ambulance from earlier and thinking that my dad should be back by now, I go inside and try to call him. No answer and now our power is out. Hmm. The smoke is getting thicker and now I can smell it from inside the house. Should we evacuate? Is there a forest fire? We are stuck with no car and I can't get ahold of my dad. 30 more minutes and about 50 more phone calls to my dad with no answer go by and I'm starting to panic. Now we also have no water because the fire trucks are using it all. No electricity, no water, no car and no idea where my daughter is and if she's ok. Finally my dad calls from a phone number I don't recognize, when I answer he tells me that he dropped Katie off at camp and then couldn't get back to the house because the road is closed and his cell phone is dead. He stopped at a Mexican restaurant down the street and even through their power is out they let him come in. He asked them if they could make him something to eat and so they tried to make a hamburger on the gas grill but since the power was out the vent didn't work and the smoke alarms went off. A few minutes later the cops run in with their guns drawn because they received the smoke alarm as a robbery in progress! They get everything straightened out and my dad leaves and is able to finally make it back to the house.
Watching the news we finally find out what happened. An eighteen wheeler lost control and smashed into a Bed and Breakfast (that thankfully was under construction and vacant) and a power pole and the eighteen wheeler exploded and caught the B&B on fire. The B&B is across the street from the entrance to our neighborhood. The truck driver died but we don't know if anyone else was hurt or killed. I just keep thinking, what if my dad and Katie had left a few minutes later? They would have been pulling out right where this happened. The dread, fear and immense relief I have experience in the past couple of hours has been beyond description. What a day!
No comments:
Post a Comment