Sunday, June 17, 2007

Our mountain neighbors



These pics were taken with Kevin's Blackberry so they aren't the best quality. We were driving into our neighborhood yesterday evening and saw these guys munching on leaves. We stopped the car and sat there for about 15 minutes watching them. They were so graceful and beautiful and not afraid of us at all. Kevin told me to slap one on the butt so he could take a picture....I declined ;) He's such a dork. :)~ Earlier in the day we had a red momma fox hanging out in our yard, Kevin whistled and called it over and it came running! The poor thing was so scrawny, and I know your not "supposed" to feed it but I felt so sorry for it so I went and got some turkey and tossed it off the deck to it. It was so beautiful close up, she had the most amazing amber colored eyes and looked so thankful for the food. After a eating a couple bites she started gathering all the pieces up in her mouth, it was so funny because she kept dropping them to pick up more pieces - it reminded me of trying to take an armful of dirty clothes to the washing machine and dropping pieces along the hall, stopping to bend over and pick them up and dropping more. I couldn't figure out what she was doing and Kevin said "She's taking the food to feed her babies!" It was so sweet, what a good mama. She eventually got it all in her mouth and looked up again with those big eyes, almost as if she was saying "thank you" and loped off across the stream. We figured out that she has a den across the stream in the big boulders over there. So we fed dinner to a fox family yesterday. I know a lot of people discourage feeding them because it's "disrupting" nature, but aren't we already disrupting nature by building houses and being here in the first place? Is it so bad to give a little something back? We went to the grocery store and got a few extra meats for our momma fox, I hope she comes back. :)
Late last night I had the first "encounter" with one of wild neighbors that I hope to never actually meet. A mountain lion. I was sitting on the sofa with the windows open and heard the most horrible sound, it sounded like a woman sceaming. It kept repeating every 15 seconds or so. Lily FLIPPED out and was growling, whimpering and running in circles, I have never seen her react like that to anything. I called Kevin over and we opened the door (that leads to the upstairs deck) with the screen door closed and stood there and listened to it for a while. It sounded like it was a ways off but it was still the freakiest sound I have ever heard. I went online and found a website that has a recording of what it sounds like - check it out if you want: http://www.mortay.com/Cougar/LionBehavior.html (click on the link toward the bottom that says "the screech of a terrified woman" to hear it.
Yesterday was a big wildlife encounter day for us!





2 comments:

mp said...

wow that's amazing!

Katrina said...

Okay -- I listened to the screaching sound of the mountain lion...very scarey!! And so how are you supposed to tell the difference between a mountian lion's scream or an actual woman who might need help??!! Sounds the exact same to me!!