Funny sounding title - not a funny problem. I was diagnosed with this during my pregnancy with Kyle and had this same pain in my pubic bone area with my past 2 pregnancies but it has gradually been getting worse and worse with this one than it ever was in my previous pregnancies. Well today I have made great friends with the couch because it has been about 10x's worse than usual and pretty much near crippling. Seriously I get tears in my eyes and my hands shake when I have to get up and walk around. I'm hoping I just injured it somehow and this pain will lessen up because I don't know how I can function like this. This sucks so much. Fortunately Katie is the absolute sweetest daughter in the entire world and helped me out SO much today, she took Kobe potty several times (even wiped his butt!), made sandwiches for all of us - she even made a special plate for me and cut up fruit and decorated the plate and gave it to me with a kiss and said "I hope this helps you feel better mommy". I love that girl so much. So I'm praying that this heals and gets better soon because as much as I have loved her help today, it wouldn't be fair for her to have to do this everyday. Anyway, here is some info on the condition (of course I have funky joints already, my elbows hyper extend and my hips can pop in and out of place, so I get to be the lucky 1 in 1000 who get this):
Pubic Bone Pain in Pregnancy
Severe pain in the area of the pubic bone due to separation of the right and left pubic bones can be a disabling complication of pregnancy. Its onset can be either during the pregnancy or during delivery. It is estimated that it affects 1 in 500 to 1000 pregnancies, although if less severe cases are included the incidence is probably closer to 1 in 50. The medical term for the condition is Pubic Symphysis Diastasis.
In the non-pregnant state the bones of the pelvic girdle are fused. During pregnancy, however, under the influence of the hormone relaxin the "joints" between the various bones of the pelvis soften and there is a natural "give" to the pelvis which allows more room for the baby to descend during delivery. Occasionally the degree of softening combined with the pressures of the pregnant uterus force the pubic bones to separate. The separated joint then becomes unstable and the rubbing of one bone on the other can be extremely painful.
This condition is much more common in women having their second or more baby, if the baby is large, if there is a forceps delivery or with rapid descent during labor, or if the shoulders get stuck during delivery (shoulder dystocia).
The major sign of Diastasis is pain in the pubic bone region. This can be gradual in onset during the last part of the pregnancy or it can occur suddenly at delivery. During delivery there might be a popping sound as the ligaments give way. There is difficulty walking, difficulty rolling from side to side in bed, a waddling gait, and difficulty achieving an erect posture. There is usually a palpable gap in the symphysis region and movement can be felt when pressure is applied on either side of the joint.
The diagnosis is usually obvious on clinical grounds alone. Xrays or MRIs are rarely needed or helpful.
The treatment involves supporting the joint and putting it at rest. A pelvic sling or binder can be helpful. Avoiding those movements that cause pain is critical to preventing progression and longer disability. Pain medications, including narcotics or anti-inflammatory agents, can be helpful. If the condition occurs before birth, consideration of delivering by cesarean section to avoid further trauma should be entertained.
Rarely, prolonged severe disability will occur and the patient will require the assistance of a walker for several months following delivery. In these cases, consultation with an orthopedist is helpful.
Future pregnancies place the patient at increased risk of recurrence. A high index of suspicion, early recognition and intervention, and consideration of cesarean delivery are all appropriate to consider.
6 comments:
OUCH! I was wincing in pain just reading that. You poor, poor thing. I feel horrible for you. I wish I could come over and wait on you hand and foot for these last few weeks, but alas I am thousands of miles away. Just know that I will praying for your immediate pain relief and avoidance of a c-section. You definitely need one of those pelvic sling things and some serious ibuprofen. Call your midwife at the very least and see what she recommends. You can't suffer needlessly like that for weeks.
Feel better soon, sweetie!
oh no, i feel so bad for you. thank goodness for katie.
let us know if it eases up.
Ouch! Can Kevin take off work a little to help you? I had a similar problem with Phoenix during the 8th month because his head was so big and I have an abnormally small pelvis (go figure). He couldn't drop so I had a 10 lb baby sittin on top on my pelvis on what felt like every nerve in my body. It hurt so bad I couldnt stand for more than 30 seconds and I had to use a wheelchair if I wanted to go somewhere. Maybe you can rent one too, lol :) Have Katie wheel you around ;)
Jess
Oooh - you poor thing! I have a similar problem but it is with my tailbone - I am seeing the chiropractor for this. I did that with Logan both pre and post pregnancy and he was able to keep things in place pretty well. I have the same issue as you with loosy goosy joints.
Hope you are feeling better today!
Oh no...you poor thing. That has got to be such a bummer! Ouch. March can't come quick enough, I bet. I hope it doesn't get worse for you. Hang in there....
You poor thing :( Katie is such a sweetie. Take care of yourself momma...
Post a Comment