Saturday, February 21, 2009

Whale Watching


Last time we came down to PV, by the time we went home I had a hard time remembering what we did each day. This time, the condo we are staying in has free WiFi so I'm going to try and post daily so I can look back and remember what we did.

Today was amazing. My grandpa took us out on his boat to go whale watching. There aren't words that can describe the beauty of being out on the open ocean, the wind whipping your hair around and smell of salt and sea. The weather was perfect, the sun was hot and the breeze was cool. We came across a pod of Humpback whales and watched them surface and blow air for a while. Finally they went under and gave us a goodbye wave with their tail fin, which apparently means they are going down deeper. We went on to another area where some whales were supposed to be and came across a mom and baby Humpback whale! The kids couldn't stop going "Ahhh...Ohhhh" The baby had literally just been born and was nursing from the mom, it was the coolest thing I have ever seen. There is something so awe inspiring about seeing these huge, beautiful creatures in their natural habitat doing something so intimate. We watched them for quite a long time and then had to head back before low tide. On the way back we passed a couple dolphins that we jumping and splashing in the waves. Kaleb fell asleep in my arms and it was so relaxing laying on the deck of the boat, with my sleeping baby in my arms and the gentle rocking and wind blowing as we headed home. One of those "wow, this is really awesome" moments.

After we got back to my grandpa's house and docked the boat, we headed in and got cleaned up and ready to go out to eat. We all went to eat at this fantastic local restuarant and had quite possibly the best fish I've ever eaten in my life. The shrimp were the size of two of my fists put together. Katie thought they were horrifying because they still had the head and eyes on. Kobe thought they were awesome. It always makes me laugh how different boys and girls react to the same thing.

Now we are back to at the condo and I'm ducking my head back into the real world to get caught up on emails and post this update. Kevin just came down with the kids in their bathing suits and they are heading down to the pool so I'm going to go join them. Kaleb is still asleep upstairs with my mom so I'm going to enjoy my break from baby duty with a Margarita and some nachos by the pool. :)

3 comments:

Laura said...

Awww - so sweet to see the baby whale with Mummy! We went whale watching last summer in Bar Harbor, ME - it was so great to see those lovely large mammals.

Katrina said...

What an awesome experience!

Angela said...

Sounds breath-taking.