Thursday, April 2, 2009

10K?

So now that I've started running again, I'm wondering if I should try doing a 10K race. My shins are getting a little better (thanks for the stretches and info Adam), I'm still having to take it a little slower than I'd like to but I've been increasing my speed and distance a little each day and seem to handling it OK. It's really weird but you can actually SEE that they are messed up because there are literally visable bumps on the muscle that runs along side my shin bone. I'm realizing they hurt more when I'm doing a slow/medium jog but if I speed up into a fast run, they don't hurt as much. Very strange. The problem is I can't keep up that faster pace for 3+ miles. Anyway, I picked up a Colorado Runner's magazine and the back has page after page of races. I wouldn't enter expecting to win, I'm not anywhere close to that level, but more for the experience and saying I did it. I can run 6 miles fairly easily so I know I could do it. I'm just worried I'll be like the slowest person there and come in last place. I don't want to embarrass myself! I guess I'll just keep trying to increase my speed a little every day until I can get to a respectable pace and hopefully my shins will keep getting better and I can get to the point where I can at least stay in the middle of the pack when I do a race. I'm really excited to start training, I've never done any kind of real race before so it will be a fun challenge.

Kevin is planning on running a 50K (31 miles) race in Amarillo in October with Adam, that is nuts to me. He's been going for long runs around our neighborhood, which is at 8000ft. elevation and nothing but steep hills so I'm sure he'll be able to do it. It's frustrating how much faster and longer he can run than me! I'm just looking forward to an excuse to go down to Amarillo and hang out with the Parkers. :) I think Marie might do the half marathon which is like 12 miles. I'm on the fence as to whether or not to attempt that myself. We'll see how my traning for the 10K goes and I'll work on increasing my distance over the summer....maybe I could do it. It just seems like such a loooooong distance!

Anyhow, aside from all this running stuff, we are doing good. Katie is taking private lessons at a local gym to work on her tumbling skills because she is trying out for a competive cheerleading squad on April 20th. This cheerleading program is the best in Colorado and one of the best in the country, it's incredible what those girls can do. I'm very excited about her joining their program. Of course it will mean lots of driving for me but I know it will be worth it for her. She's also been taking piano and voice lessons and is loving that so far. She is working on singing the song from the Little Mermaid and sounds so cute. I'll have to record her singing and post it soon.

The boys are growing so fast, Kobe is talking so well and I have the funniest conversations with him. He wants to start taking a boys gymnastics class at the place Katie takes lessons so we may start that soon. He can already do a perfect forward roll and is learning to do a handstand (he copies Katie) so I think he'd do well in a formal class.
Kaleb is walking everywhere and is getting pretty fast, he does an almost/kind of run when he's trying to get away from you. Usually when he has gotten something he's not supposed to have and knows you are coming to take it away. He has gotten a lot easier since he started walking and spends a lot of time playing with Katie and Kobe and sometimes just on his own. It's wonderful. He's also super attached to Kevin and actually prefers him over me a lot of time, which is also a nice change. Kyle and Kobe were total mama's boys. Kaleb is also talking and signing a LOT, he is probably the most verbal of all my boys. He reminds me of Katie when she was this age and I think he'll be an early talker like she was.

Well that's about all that's new in the Miller casa, we're taking a trip to SA next week for Kevin's friend's wedding and also having a birthday party for Kobe while we are there. I'm really looking forward to seeing all our friends and family and enjoying some hot weather. It's snowed several FEET here in the past week! We had almost no snow all winter and are getting pounded with it now.

5 comments:

Katrina said...

You amaze me with all the running --when do you run? in the mornings? evenings? Who watches the kids while you run?

I think running is something I could get into. You'll have to email me with tips on how to start. Here are my questions:

1) how do you know how far you have run? like if you are just running around your neighborhood and not a measured track, what's the best way to measure the distance?

2) what's a good pace for a beginner? a walk/run type of thing?

3) as far as hydration...do you drink water before you run? do you bring a water bottle with you? or do you just wait until you get back from the run to drink anything? I have bad memories of water sloshing around in my belly during the mile runs when I was in middle school, and getting "stitches" in my side because of it.

4) what is a good brand of running shoe?

5) best time of day to run? (okay, for me that would be "anytime I can" but really, is there a better time if you have a choice?)


Anyway, just thinking about it... I need to shred some of this pregnancy weight and it bugs me that I can't diet. I really just want to drink about 5 cups of Detox Tea everyday and cut back on what I eat, but because I'm nursing Aria, I can't do that.

Christine said...

Thanks Trina :) I'll try to answer all your questions:

1) how do you know how far you have run? like if you are just running around your neighborhood and not a measured track, what's the best way to measure the distance?

For outdoor running I use google maps to figure out where to run. I will set the "start" at my house and then play around with the "destination" to find a loop that is the amount of miles I want to run. I also use the Nikeplusipod shoe thing that talks to your ipod and tells you how far you ran and keeps track of all your runs for you. I bought a little shoe pouch for it since I don't like Nike shoes and it laces up on my shoe. It's really cool!

2) what's a good pace for a beginner? a walk/run type of thing?

Whatever is comfortable for you. You may start off running for only a few minutes and then walking but gradually push yourself to run for longer stretches. After a while it will start to feel easier and you'll want to run faster/longer. I think you could probably start with 10 min. running, 5 min. walking for a total of 30 min. at first and then work your way toward running for the whole 30 min. Once you get to that point you can gradually just add more distance and speed.

3) as far as hydration...do you drink water before you run? do you bring a water bottle with you? or do you just wait until you get back from the run to drink anything? I have bad memories of water sloshing around in my belly during the mile runs when I was in middle school, and getting "stitches" in my side because of it.

I don't really like to drink too much while I run. I'll keep a bottle of water with me on the treadmill but usually only take one or two sips from it during the whole time. I don't usually take water with me when I run outside, unless I take the jogging stroller. I just don't like having to run with anything in my hand. I usually drink lots of water after I'm done running.

4) what is a good brand of running shoe?

I love, love, love the Asics gel kayano - I actually just replaced my old ones with the newer version. A lot of people like Mizuno or Saucony but I've never found anything I like as much as the Asics Gel Kayano.

5) best time of day to run? (okay, for me that would be "anytime I can" but really, is there a better time if you have a choice?)

Haha, yeah "anytime I can" about sums it up for me too. When Kevin is working from home I usually run in the mornings after a light breakfast but on days when he is out of the house I will run on the treadmill while Kaleb naps in the afternoons. Somedays we are busy all day and I don't get around to running till 9 at night. I just squeeze it in whenever I can. I prefer to run in the morning that way I can follow up with my shower and not have to take 2 showers in one day. I also like starting my day off with a run, I feel like I have more energy throughout the day and it's not something weighing on my mind all day that I need to do. Getting a treadmill was one of the best things I ever did, it really enabled me to fit running into my schedule and I know I run a LOT more than I would if I had to go to a gym to use one.

I'm also still nursing Kaleb so
I know what you mean about being frustrated about not being able to cut calories as much as you'd like. I also find that my body wants to hold onto more fat when I'm nursing so that is frustrating as well.

Angela said...

Oh you can totally do a 10K. Not that I ever have, but quite a few ladies on my block have run Marathons and they said that once they hit that 6 or 7 mile mark they just get into a groove and keep going for the whole 23 miles. Even if you do come in near the end, who cares? Running a 10K is a serious accomplishment. If anything you can look at it as one long workout =)

And I agree with everything you told Trina. Except for maybe the shoe part. I've never found a brand that really fit the same every time. I've had a pair of New Balance that I loved. I had a pair of Asics gel that were really good too. But now I have a pair of Saucony that I just love. I found them after trying out a bunch of New Balance and Asics that just didn't feel as comfy. Who knows, maybe my feet have changed with each pregnancy.

The Gomez Family said...

Wow-10K? That is a big motivator. I wish i had the stamina for all that running. Good job Christine!! I can not wait to see ya'll down in old S.A. Call me when you come in. Take care :)

mp said...

start out with a 5k so you can see where you are. don't forget colorado is a blue state (or is it white?) i would recommend a 5k for a first time racer, not because of miles but just because so you can get a feel of racing.