So this has been a problem weighing on my mind ever since I found out I was pregnant...to have a homebirth or not. I had the most incredible, wonderful, amazing homebirth with Kobe. What I want is just to have that same experience again with Kaleb. The problem is that we are in a different situation now that I have to be realistic about the risks it presents. In College Station we lived literally less than 10 minutes from the hospital so if there was a critical emergency that popped up, we could be in the ER in a matter of minutes. I felt that by having a homebirth I was not putting Kobe or myself at any additional risk whatsoever because of that fact. The risk of something happening that would require transfer to the hospital are extremely rare (like less than 2%), coupled with our proximity to the hospital I felt very secure in my decision to have a homebirth. I feel very strongly that birth is a natural process not an "illness" that should be medically managed. If you let your body do what it was made to do, most of the time things will work out for the best for you and your baby. I hate the unnecessary interventions that hospitals love to push and just really enjoy being in a peaceful, relaxed environment to give birth in the most natural way possible. Here is the problem, I am due at the end of Feb/beginning of March which is the snowiest time of year here and I live in the mountains about 45 minutes away from the closest hospital (with clear roads - in a snow storm it could take hours). By choosing to have this baby at home, I feel that I am introducing a higher risk because in the rare chance that something does goes wrong and the baby needs to be out in a matter of minutes to save his life, well we just wouldn't be able to get to the hospital in time.
After losing Kyle I joined several grief and loss groups and through those groups I met other parents who had lost children. So many of them had lost their children during birth and I learned of so many different ways a child can die during birth...prolapsed cord, cord around the neck, baby is too big and gets stuck, the list goes on. So while I know the risk of any of those things happening is incredibly low, I also know what it is like to be on the wrong side of incredibly low odds and when it happens to you and it's your child that dies, it doesn't matter what the odds were. So I feel like I have to decide between having the birth experience that I want or doing the absolute safest thing for Kaleb. What is more important? Me having a relaxing birth experience or my child's safety? When I think about it like that, it's a no brainer, I have to do what is going to present the least risk to my baby. Having him in Feb, in the mountains, 45 min. away from the nearest hospital just doesn't seem to be smart if his health and safety are my #1 concern. If we lived down in Denver, close to a hospital, this wouldn't be a concern at all, I would have a homebirth for sure. It's just that living where we live and the time of year I'm due present risks that I'm starting to think are just not acceptable. If something did happen right at the last minute and the cord was presenting first or his heart rate started dropping and he needed to get out immediately in order to save his life and we couldn't get to the hospital in time because of where we live and "my" desire to have a homebirth, well I know I couldn't live with that guilt. It's hard enough losing child and knowing there was something you could have done to save him but just didn't know about it....but losing a child and knowing that you knew ahead of time you were putting him at risk, I don't want to live with that. I can't bear losing another child and especially not in a way that could have been prevented but wasn't because of "my" choices. I really wish we would have considered this before moving up here, but it honestly didn't even cross my mind until after we had already bought the house and moved in. Short of trying to sell our house and move to the city, I think my only option is to give up on having the homebirth I want and find another option that is less risky.
The good news is that I found a midwifery group in Evergreen that delivers at a hospital down in Denver that has jacuzzi tubs in each room so at least I could be seen by a midwife and have my labor in the water but still be in the hospital in the event of an emergency. I'm not looking forward to having to get up in the middle of my labor and drive somewhere and then have to stay in a hospital and turn around and drive home with a brand new baby, staying home in your own bed is so much nicer and I'm now going to have the stress of making sure that the hospital doesn't try to do anything to him that I don't want (circumcision, vaccines at birth, etc.) but I guess it's a good compromise and I will still get to have a lot of things I want without putting Kaleb at risk during birth. So I think at this point that is what I have decided to do.
7 comments:
I feel your anxiety...Having a baby in the hospital is nerve racking, but if it provides the safest option-- Go for it! It is great that you still have the option to do the water birth in a hospital.
Other suggestions to making your stay at the hospital pleasant:
*Make a couple of Signs reading "BREASTFED BABY ONLY" Place this on his hospital bassinet,bags, and room door. This really helped us to alert the new shift nurses.
*choose a post birth room with lots of room and a small fridge. This allowed Ales and Luis to sleep comfortably on the fold out couch and we got to store food in the mini fridge.
I know, i know...You are gonna be great. You have had three wonderful babies already. You're a pro at this. Take care of yourself.
i think that is the best decision also. the birthing center sounds awesome.
Christine,
As a fellow homebirther...I understand how you feel. We live just 2 minutes away from a wonderful hospital...so I feel very safe and secure having my babies at home. I know that I could be in the ER in just a few minutes if I needed to be. I would not feel comfortable being in the mountains, surrounded by snowy roads, 45 minutes away from the nearest hospital. And you know, when you are not mentally "okay" or relaxed, your body will react to that during the birthing process. So it's important that you feel the safest that you can feel when you have Kaleb. Birthing centers can be wonderful experiences. Some are set up just like bedrooms. If I were you, I would do exactly what you have decided. That way, baby is not at risk AND you are mentally and emotionally "safe" which will allow for your body to relax during labor and delivery. My sister homebirthed her last baby, but the one before that (her first) she didn't feel comfortable having him at home because she had never given birth before and wanted to be sure her pelvis could pass a baby through, etc...before she tried a homebirth. This was her comfort level, and so she opted for a hospital birth for her first. But she had a birthing plan all written up and the hospital really did follow all her instructions. And this was a hospital, not a birthing center. She had a great, unmedicated, natural birth with her first baby...and then with the confidence that she could do it, she went on to have her second son at home with a midwife attending. So it just all boils down to our own comfort levels, and how we feel the safest.
The only other option I can think of in your case would be to have the baby at home, but in someone else's home...like perhaps going home to TX and birthing the baby at Marie's house! :) Or your mom's house. Some place where you would feel completely relaxed and safe. But then since it's far from CO you probably wouldn't have your midwife there, so that poses a problem, of course. Unless you can somehow get the midwife who helped you with Kobe's birth.
Just an idea.
But I think your decision is the best one to make for you and the baby. It's the safest, and since you know it's the safest, you will be more relaxed during delivery.
I think you've made a very well-informed decision and are doing the very best thing for both you and Kaleb. Although the risk is low, there is also the possibility of something happening to YOU as result of giving birth. There are plenty of mothers who have died from complications of the birthing process. So your decision to do "the next best thing" to a home birth is the best thing for your family as whole. Not only are you protecting Kaleb in the event of something unexpected happening, but you are protecting yourself as well. I am sure that is something your family and close friends can appreciate and respect you for.
I'm just curious if there are dedicated birthing centers in the Denver area. But I suppose your midwife would be aware of them if they exist. I've seen some of those birthing shows that feature them and they seem really nice. The rooms are like actual bedrooms with real beds and not hospital beds. No medical equipment present - seems like a very natural setting. Too bad that's not an option b/c it seems like it would be a better compromise for you. Either way, you'll do great and I'm sure Kaleb will be healthy, happy, and very much LOVED!!!!
ha ha, just read Trina's comment. Have Kaleb at my house?? Too funny!
Unless of course you were seriously considering it, I'd love to have you!
Excellent decision! The place I delivered Logan was a birthday center with full hospital benefits - a midwife delivered him and we had a good experience. We needed to be there anyway because my water had broken more than 24 hours earlier and my labour stalled so I needed to be induced.
We will be there for #2, though they just wrote to me saying because of their current shortage of midwives, if I don't deliver Mon - Fri between 9 and 7pm, I'll get an OB which I am NOT jazzed about at all! However, I am comfortable there, so I am just willing bean to come on a good midwife schedule.
We have hospitals closer to our house than the one we go to, but we made that choice because you are in one room and don't move from there and because of the midwife benefits. There is also a comfort factor for me now that I know what to expect there.
So you don't even do the immediate vaccine?
Well, as a giant baby c-section mom I have no advice for you on homebirthing,lol, but I like the Texas idea ;)
Jess
Post a Comment