Sunday, January 27, 2008
Belly Flop
Well I got to spend 4 hours in the hospital yesterday thanks to my graceful belly flop on the ice. Yesterday I had gone down the stairs to take some shipping labels to the garage to put on some car seats that needed to be shipped out. Kobe was with me and I was holding his hand and had the labels in my other hand. We made it down the stairs and were walking towards the garage and walked across a big patch of slippery wet ice. My feet went out from under me and I fell face first on the ground....right on my belly. Kobe fell down with me and of course he started crying, my labels went flying everywhere, I started crying, it must have been quite a site. I immediately felt like I was going to puke, it felt like a big ball was in my throat and my whole tummy hurt really bad. I made it back inside and called my midwife who instructed me to go straight to the hospital to be monitored. So we packed up the kids and went down to the hospital. They sent me to L&D and it was so weird to be in one of those rooms again, I kept looking at the little bassinet thing that they put the baby in after it's born and thinking how in a few weeks our baby will actually be here. Anyway, they hooked me up to the monitors and fortunately his heart rate was really strong and steady. The only problem was that I was contracting a LOT, I had something like 5 contractions in 10 minutes. They were kind of intense to the point I was having to close my eyes and breath slowly through some of them. After about an hour of frequent contractions they decided to give me a shot of terbutaline to stop the contractions. I wasn't thrilled about getting it but I also didn't want to end up having this baby 4 weeks early, in a hospital, so I got the shot and it worked really well. The contractions stopped completely but they kept me there for another couple hours to make sure they wouldn't come back and that the baby's heart rate stayed steady. Finally after 4 hours, several blood tests and a Rhogam shot (I'm Rh- so I have to get these shots in case the baby's blood mixes with mine), they let me go home. I was SO happy to get off those monitors - I hate having those tight bands around your belly. So anyway we are home now and I am really sore and just trying to rest. The baby is fine though so that is all that matters. :) We had quite a scare for a while there though.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
What a nightmare! Maybe you should tape some bubble wrap around your belly and wear cleats all day, lol :) I am glad to hear everything is alright though, be careful!
Jess
oh my gosh christine! i'm so glad baby kaleb is ok.
i'm assuming kevin was home? gosh that is so scary!
I'm so glad you are both okay! What a scare!!
Okay...is it possible for you just to stay inside, safe and sound, for the next 4 weeks? No more ice for you!!!
When I was pregnant with my first, I tripped over a box that I didn't see if front of me, because of my huge belly being in the way, and landed right on my face. It was awful. So I can relate a bit to being sore, but most of all of being scared that the baby is hurt.
Everything was fine, though, and it's always so amazing to me how cushioned they really are in there!
Yikes! I am so glad you and Kaleb are OK! What a fright for both you and Kobe!
Oh, i am so sorry. I hope you are doing fine. Take care of yourself. :)
That is scary! I'm glad everything (and everyone!) is doing well though!!
Goodness gracious! Glad to hear that both you and Kaleb are okay and that they were able to stop your contractions. I was put on bedrest at 32 weeks with Nathan and given a Rx for terbutaline for preterm labor. The contractions continued for weeks but wouldn't you know it I ended up being induced anyway.
You should stay away from ice and shipping labels for awhile =)
Post a Comment