Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Ouch...

Seems to be the common theme in our family lately. Katie went to the dentist yesterday morning and had to get two pulpotomies (basically a root canal for baby teeth). I never had a cavity till after my first pregnancy, certainly none as a kid so this was a huge shock to me. Apparently her teeth are a lot like her dads and her molars have these really deep ridges in the middle that are nearly impossible to get into with a toothbrush. She only had 2 cavities, one on the same tooth on each side - the upper second to last molar, but they were all the way up into the nerve so the Dentist had to drill in and remove the entire pulp and then cap them. Ouch. They gave her nitrous oxide and numbed her gums up really well but she still squirmed and whined a lot, it was incredibly hard to watch. Me and Kevin took turns holding her hand. She was so brave though, I'm so proud of her. We took her to Chuck E. Cheese last night as a reward for being such a trooper. I'm just so glad it's over with and I'm sure she is as well. She isn't supposed to lose these molars till she is 11 or 12 so it's a good thing we got it done now before it got so bad the tooth would have had to be removed or the cavity could have gone up into her permanant tooth. I'm going to start checking her teeth after she brushes them and make sure she isn't missing any spots so she hopefully never has to do this again. The good news is the Dentist looked at Kobe's teeth and said they look perfect and his molars don't have the same deep ridges that Katie's do, so hopefully he won't run into the same problems later on. He was so cute, he just laid there and opened his mouth up wide and let her look at his teeth and even brush them with a flouride treatment. He is our first kid who actually likes to get his teeth brushed and looked at. I remember when Katie and Kyle were his age we used to have to actually hold them down screaming to brush their teeth. So anyway, we definitely learned the importance of going to the Dentist every 6 months and catching things before they get bad.

Onto our next "ouch" victim... Kobe picked up Rubella in Mexico (a.k.a. the German measles). It's incredibly rare here in the US, but pretty common over there. We've been putting off the MMR shot till he was 2 and were going to break up the shot, so I guess the good news is that is one less shot he will have to get now. It's actually not that bad as far as illnesses go, he doesn't have a fever or is even acting like he feels bad. He just has a rash bothers him a little bit. I researched it and Rubella is actually a really mild illness, the biggest danger is for pregnant women as it can cause birth defects in the baby if they get it. I called my midwife and told them about Kobe and they checked my file and said I had been tested for immunity to Rubella during my first prenatal blood draw and that my antibody levels were really high so I am 100% immune to it, so that was a relief.

The last and probably worst "ouch" is me. This pubic bone seperation thing is horrible. It doesn't seem to be getting any better and is actually getting worse at times. Last night I couldn't sleep because even when I was lying down, it STILL hurt really bad. We have stairs just to go in and out of our front door and it is getting very close to impossible for me to go up and down them by myself. It's starting to p*^% me off more than anything because I have SO much to do and this is absolutely the last thing I need. I'm really tired of being in pain and there is nothing I can do about it. Ugh! I don't want to be constantly complaining and whining, but it is constantly hurting and really starting to interfere with me being able to do the things I NEED to do.

Anyway, the good news is that I think the store will be "open for business" later this week! I'm still adding products, I just got approved to carry the Fleurville line of diaper bags and also the Bumble Bag line. I've got a whole bunch of other products in the pipeline which we will hopefully be offering soon - namely a lot of safety related products that are really cool. So please check out the site and let me know if you have any suggestions: http://www.hipmonkey.com/
I'll post an announcement once we are ready to start taking purchases (we're just waiting on the merchant account right now). At least working on the business is one thing I can still do sitting down - the housework is a totally different story!

7 comments:

mp said...

yay, i'm so excited about the site opening!! can't wait to see it finished.

sorry about everyone's ouchies. tanner is terrified of the dentist and cries everytime. i feel so bad for her, but so far so good on any major work. braces will be a different story!

Angela said...

OUCH, OUCH, and OUCH!!!! Remind me to tell you about Nathan's dental accident one of these days. It started out as a fun day at the play area at the mall and ended with us at Urgent Care followed by an emergency visit to a Pediatric Dentist.

Poor Katie and Kobe...at least they seemeto be on the road to recovery. I hope delivery day comes quickly for you seeing as how you're in so much pain. Well once the store opens maybe you can splurge and get a housekeeper to come in and do a little clean-up for you until you are on the road to mending which sounds like it won't happen until after Kaleb arrives.

I'll make sure to send Long the link to the store, seeing as how I already have my eye on the Fleurville Sling Tote - Oh my how I have become such a designer diaper bag hoarder. You would think 2 of their bags would be enough for me. At least I can feel great about my purchase knowing it will help you guys!!!

Laura said...

Did you get my emails about suggestions for products for the site? (Nursing covers, hair clips and the pinafores?).

Poor Katie, Kobe and you! We haven't taken Logan to the dentist yet as my dentist said not to until he was 3, but we added dental coverage for him recently so that we could do it. Probably do it this summer while I am on maternity leave.

Wow - Kobe getting Rubella does drive it home to me that I am happy that Logan is fully immunized on schedule. We toyed with the delayed schedule, but it wasn't possible as New Hampshire schools require children to be immunized on time. Going not far from home really does open things up for disease contraction.

I didn't get a few vaccines when I was young as there was a big scare at the time and I got EVERY ONE of those diseases growing up - Whooping Cough, Mumps and one other I can't remember. I was a magnet for disease!

Can you take anything for the pain you are experiencing? Even some Tylenol to help take the edge off?

Katrina said...

Sorry to hear about all the ouchies you guys are experiencing over there! Our last five children do not have vaccinations (long story why we came to that decision) and Aislynn caught whooping cough when she was 10 months old. She had a very mild case and did very well with it. Now she's immune without having to get all those shots, so that's a good thing. Same with Kobe and Reubella...now he won't need those shots :)

When we go to Cancun this fall, I will have a 3 month old with us. I'm going to make sure he/she gets the DPT shot before we go so whooping cough won't be an issue. With an infant, it's too risky of an illness. Here, I don't have much to worry about because it's not that prevalent. But in

I'm looking forward to your online store opening! Can't wait to spread the word and share your site with everyone I know!

Katrina said...

oooopss...for some reason my post was cut off.

that last line was supposed to read, "but in Mexico, it just might be."

Katrina said...

About the deep ridges in Katie's back teeth...my kids' back teeth were filled with a resin just for that reason. Does your dentist offer this? It just fills in the hole so that cavities or problems won't form later on from not being able to reaach with a toothbrush. It's a preventative, so our insurance paid for it. Just thought I'd mention it :)

The Gomez Family said...

poor babies...I hope they both feel better soon. You have done such a wonderful job on the HIPMONKEY.com website. This will be a favorite of mine for sure. I have spread the word to many of the SMH moms at Ales and Enzo's schools. The website looks great!! :) Take care.