



Summer brings fun in the sun and opportunity for water sports, boating, going to the lake, pool, beach etc. Another thing summer brings is drownings, and lots of them. Drowning is the second leading cause of death in children (after motor vehicle accidents). According to SafeKidsUSA, in 2001, 859 children ages 14 and under died as a result of unintentional drowning and, in 2002, an estimated 2,700 children in this age group were treated in hospital emergency rooms for near-drowning (which can lead to serious brain damage).
Despite the fact that this is such a huge risk factor for children, it is impossible to purchase a PFD1 (the highest safety rating for life jackets) in the United States. To read about one mom's struggle (which mirrors my own) trying to find a safe life jacket for her child, read here. Life jackets around water are just as important as car seats are on the road. You never know what can happen when you at the lake or out on a boat and if your child hits their head and falls in the water, only a PFD1 jacket will ensure that they float with their face up and out of the water.
Last year I purchased two PFD1 Life Jackets called the Ultra Sea Raider for both Katie & Kobe from an online store in Australia called "Mac's Waterski World". I revisited them again today and purchased a 3rd for Kaleb. If you are interested in purchasing one, visit their store online at: http://www.macs.com.au/index.php?cPath=44_72_74 (scroll down and look for the Ultra Sea Raider) FYI - Kobe still fits in the size 1-2 but the straps are all the way loosened so he is at the max size for it. We are moving him into a size 3-4 and giving Kaleb his size 1-2. You can pay with paypal and they will ship to the US. We love these jackets and not only do they keep the kids as safe as possible, they are really comfortable for them to wear. Which anyone who has ever tried to get a child to keep on something they aren't comfortable in, knows is really important.
I think it is ridiculous that you can't even purchase these life jackets here in the US. I have contacted the manufacturer of the Ultra Sea Raider jackets to see if there is any way I can purchase them wholesale and offer them for sale on Hip Monkey. There is just something seriously wrong when you have to go to the other side of the globe to get a product to protect your children from the second leading cause of death in the country!
Despite the fact that this is such a huge risk factor for children, it is impossible to purchase a PFD1 (the highest safety rating for life jackets) in the United States. To read about one mom's struggle (which mirrors my own) trying to find a safe life jacket for her child, read here. Life jackets around water are just as important as car seats are on the road. You never know what can happen when you at the lake or out on a boat and if your child hits their head and falls in the water, only a PFD1 jacket will ensure that they float with their face up and out of the water.
Last year I purchased two PFD1 Life Jackets called the Ultra Sea Raider for both Katie & Kobe from an online store in Australia called "Mac's Waterski World". I revisited them again today and purchased a 3rd for Kaleb. If you are interested in purchasing one, visit their store online at: http://www.macs.com.au/index.php?cPath=44_72_74 (scroll down and look for the Ultra Sea Raider) FYI - Kobe still fits in the size 1-2 but the straps are all the way loosened so he is at the max size for it. We are moving him into a size 3-4 and giving Kaleb his size 1-2. You can pay with paypal and they will ship to the US. We love these jackets and not only do they keep the kids as safe as possible, they are really comfortable for them to wear. Which anyone who has ever tried to get a child to keep on something they aren't comfortable in, knows is really important.
I think it is ridiculous that you can't even purchase these life jackets here in the US. I have contacted the manufacturer of the Ultra Sea Raider jackets to see if there is any way I can purchase them wholesale and offer them for sale on Hip Monkey. There is just something seriously wrong when you have to go to the other side of the globe to get a product to protect your children from the second leading cause of death in the country!
4 comments:
Thanks Christine for the tip. I have been searching for a better life jacket for the kids because we are on the boat and jet ski's so much. My sister works for the red cross and bought us the best life jackets she could find, but I know there is better out there. Let me know if you can get those at Hip Monkey!
Jess
AAAHHH!!! Thanks for this tip. That has been another issue of mine. I have not been able to find a safe life jacket. I am always weary about the ones with the cartoon characters on it, too.
I can not wait for the celebration of renewing ya'lls vows. Sorry about the ya'lls word. Anyways take care...Talk to you later.
i'll have to get one for morgan. thanks for the site!
I hope they let Hip Monkey carry them, if not, I will definitely be getting one for Logan and Taran from down under.
Post a Comment