I am so grateful. Grateful for the 3 wonderful years I had with Kyle, the fact that his death was quick and painless when so many other children's deaths aren't. Grateful for the fact that I can get pregnant so easily, when so many others can't. Grateful to have had healthy pregnancies and babies, when so many others dont. DEEPLY grateful that Katie and Kobe are still here, growing up and in my arms every day, when some parents arms are empty. Grateful that I have a wonderful husband I love, who is still with me, when so many others have lost their spouse either to death or divorce. Grateful that my parents and grandparents are still here and still healthy and that I have had so many wonderful years with them. Depsite the tremendous loss that I have endured, I am deeply grateful - more than I ever was before I experienced loss - for the wonderful people in my life that I love so much.
Through my pain and loss, I have realized that love is the only thing that matters, it is the only thing worth living for. Material possesions, all the trivial things that seem to be so important in our society are hollow, empty pursuits that will never bring true happiness. I got to thinking of this poem/quote that my parents had up on our wall when I was a kid and how much more I understand it now than I did back then (but even then it left an impression on me, I remember reading it many, many times growing up). It is by Ralph Waldo Emerson and it goes like this:
"What Is Success"
"To laugh often and much;
To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children;
To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends;
To appreciate beauty;
To find the best in others;
To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition;
To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived;
This is to have succeeded."
.
and this is probably one of my all time favorite quotes:
"One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: that word is love." - Sophocles
.
I just find so much truth in those words. I think that if all I have done in my life is truly loved and been loved in return, and spent my life making the people I love my biggest priority and doing what I can to make the world a bit better place, then I think I have found success and happiness beyond measure.
.
Well Katie wrote a song and wants me to listen to it, so I better go...and I think I will really stop and listen and appreciate her beautiful voice more than usual tonight. :)
5 comments:
I am in tears and pretty much speechless. Thank you for putting life into perspective for me. Just wanted to send some ((HUGS)) your way.
Christine...my throat tightens up and tears well up in my eyes as I read this post. I'm so sorry that you lost your precious Kyle! I wish I could get him back for you, to fill that void in your heart. It's amazing to read your post and hear such strength in your words, and your perspective on life is so crystal clear and so right! In almost every situation, there seems to always be someone else who has it worse. The Cobles know your pain three times over. The loss of Kyle, Emma and Katie all at once is a devastating blow for them. Thank goodness Lori survived the crash. If she had gone with them, Chris would be left all alone. He was at work during the accident and had no idea what had happened to his family only a few short miles away. Our neighborhood is not the same and never will be. Chris and Lori have decided to stay where they are, which means they will see all the children that their children played with grow up, go to school, play sports, ride bikes up and down the street. And I just think, wow...how hard that must be. Life goes on, dispite your grief and what you have to endure. I am so thankful each and everyday for my kids. I'm like you with Kobe tonight, just hugging Andrew while he sleeps on my chest, and smelling his hair that was just washed, saying a silent prayer for God to keep my babies safe. That's all we want as parents -- for our children to be safe, healthy and happpy. You wrote: "I think that if all I have done in my life is truly loved and been loved in return, and spent my life making the people I love my biggest priority and doing what I can to make the world a bit better place, then I think I have found success and happiness beyond measure." and I just have to say that in the short amount of time that I have known you and have gotton to know Kyle through his website, my life, MY world, is a better place! Because of you and your little boy, 4 of my children are in safer carseats, two of them who were just using regular belts before I saw Kyle's video! And now I am spreading the word and getting more carseat awareness out -- so you really are making the world a better place. And love truly IS the most important thing in the world. How much we love and how much we are loved in return is what is the true measure of "success" in life. I'm praying extra for you tonight, for God to comfort you as you miss Kyle each day, and for Him to keep Katie and Kobe safe, to bless the new life inside you, and to guard your marriage and keep it going strong. You are an awesome mommy, and a wonderful person.
Thank you for those words. I too thank the Lord everyday for those 3 years he gave Kyle to my family. I think that's the only way, instead of getting mad, be glad. I couldn't imagine if he wouldn't have given Kyle to us at all. How different our lives would be too. I sometimes think about how I would be if I lost a child(which I don't know why moms do that to themselves!!) but I wonder if I could be as strong as you, continue to love and laugh like you. I'm so happy that you are finding a way and what better way then through your kids!! I have deepest gratitude to have you as a friend. I truly do.
Christine - you move me so easily to tears as I am so often when I think of Kyle and the pain that you and all those who knew and loved him, had to endure each day. I would give anything to have life breathed back into his little body too - if only we had such power and could perform such miracles. If we could, that would be my gift to you.
You are an amazing family - I have been blessed to have been invited in to share it with you - to be your friend and to hopefully, make a difference - a positive one - to your lives.
Through Kyle, his memory and his honor, I hope that I can help make a difference to other families too - to help you with your mission of ensuring that no other family has to endure your pain (as much as we can).
My heart aches for you; my throat is tight and my eyes welling with tear - tears of sadness and tears of joy. It's not fair that it took the loss of beautiful and compassionate Kyle to bring these things to pass.
However, as you say, it's what you do with those cards you have been dealt. You can wallow in it (which I suspect may have been my road) or you use the grief for better.
You are wise beyond your years - we all need to stop; take that moment to fully appreciate our families and the love we have. How lucky we all are to be able to hug and kiss our little ones - tell them we love them "to Pluto".
Kyle knows forever that your love is boundless for him - what a big hug and smooch you are in for when you get to see him again. I only hope that I too have that honor someday....
With love as always
Lx
Thank you for giving me those words of wisdom. There is not a day that goes by that i do not think about your precious boy Kyle. I find myself viewing his pictures over and over again. In Kyle, i see joy and that brings others joy. We love you guys. :)
Post a Comment