Sunday, June 1, 2008

Delay Solids?

I've always started all my babies on rice cereal (made by mixing w/ breastmilk) around 3 months and fruits and veggies around 4 months. They all did great with it and really enjoyed their solid meals. Kaleb is now 3 months old and I've been thinking of starting him soon but I remembered reading somewhere about the benefit of delaying solids so I decided to do some research and found the article below. Now I'm thinking we should wait...

Why Delay Solids?

Health experts and breastfeeding experts agree that it's best to wait until your baby is around six months old before offering solid foods. There has been a large amount of research on this in the recent past, and most health organizations have updated their recommendations to agree with current research. Unfortunately, many health care providers are not up to date in what they're telling parents, and many, many books are not up to date.

The following organizations recommend that all babies be exclusively breastfed (no cereal, juice or any other foods) for the first 6 months of life (not the first 4-6 months):

Most babies will become developmentally and physiologically ready to eat solids by 6-9 months of age. For some babies, delaying solids longer than six months can be a good thing; for example, some doctors may recommend delaying solids for 12 months if there is a family history of allergies.

Reasons for delaying solids

Although some of the reasons listed here assume that your baby is breastfed or fed breastmilk only, experts recommend that solids be delayed for formula fed babies also.

  • Delaying solids gives baby greater protection from illness.
    Although babies continue to receive many immunities from breastmilk for as long as they nurse, the greatest immunity occurs while a baby is exclusively breastfed. Breastmilk contains 50+ known immune factors, and probably many more that are still unknown. One study has shown that babies who were exclusively breastfed for 4+ months had 40% fewer ear infections than breastfed babies whose diets were supplemented with other foods. The probability of respiratory illness occurring at any time during childhood is significantly reduced if the child is fed exclusively breast milk for at least 15 weeks and no solid foods are introduced during this time. (Wilson, 1998) Many other studies have also linked the degree of exclusivity of breastfeeding to enhanced health benefits (see Immune factors in human milk and Risks of Artificial Feeding).

  • Delaying solids gives baby's digestive system time to mature.
    If solids are started before a baby's system is ready to handle them, they are poorly digested and may cause unpleasant reactions (digestive upset, gas, constipation, etc.). Protein digestion is incomplete in infancy. Gastric acid and pepsin are secreted at birth and increase toward adult values over the following 3 to 4 months. The pancreatic enzyme amylase does not reach adequate levels for digestion of starches until around 6 months, and carbohydrate enzymes such as maltase, isomaltase, and sucrase do not reach adult levels until around 7 months. Young infants also have low levels of lipase and bile salts, so fat digestion does not reach adult levels until 6-9 months.

  • Delaying solids decreases the risk of food allergies.
    It is well documented that prolonged exclusive breastfeeding results in a lower incidence of food allergies (see Allergy References and Risks of Artificial Feeding). From birth until somewhere between four and six months of age, babies possess what is often referred to as an "open gut." This means that the spaces between the cells of the small intestines will readily allow intact macromolecules, including whole proteins and pathogens, to pass directly into the bloodstream.This is great for your breastfed baby as it allows beneficial antibodies in breastmilk to pass more directly into baby's bloodstream, but it also means that large proteins from other foods (which may predispose baby to allergies) and disease-causing pathogens can pass right through, too. During baby's first 4-6 months, while the gut is still "open," antibodies (sIgA) from breastmilk coat baby's digestive tract and provide passive immunity, reducing the likelihood of illness and allergic reactions before gut closure occurs. Baby starts producing these antibodies on his own at around 6 months, and gut closure should have occurred by this time also. See How Breast Milk Protects Newborns and The Case for the Virgin Gut for more on this subject.

  • Delaying solids helps to protect baby from iron-deficiency anemia.
    The introduction of iron supplements and iron-fortified foods, particularly during the first six months, reduces the efficiency of baby's iron absorption. Healthy, full-term infants who are breastfed exclusively for periods of 6-9 months have been shown to maintain normal hemoglobin values and normal iron stores. In one study (Pisacane, 1995), the researchers concluded that babies who were exclusively breastfed for 7 months (and were not give iron supplements or iron-fortified cereals) had significantly higher hemoglobin levels at one year than breastfed babies who received solid foods earlier than seven months. The researchers found no cases of anemia within the first year in babies breastfed exclusively for seven months and concluded that breastfeeding exclusively for seven months reduces the risk of anemia. See Is Iron-Supplementation Necessary? for more information.

  • Delaying solids helps to protect baby from future obesity.
    The early introduction of solids is associated with increased body fat and weight in childhood. (for example, see Wilson 1998, von Kries 1999, Kalies 2005)

  • Delaying solids helps mom to maintain her milk supply.
    Studies have shown that for a young baby solids replace milk in a baby's diet - they do not add to baby's total intake. The more solids that baby eats, the less milk he takes from mom, and less milk taken from mom means less milk production. Babies who eat lots of solids or who start solids early tend to wean prematurely.

  • Delaying solids helps to space babies.
    Breastfeeding is most effective in preventing pregnancy when your baby is exclusively breastfed and all of his nutritional and sucking needs are satisfied at the breast.

  • Delaying solids makes starting solids easier.
    Babies who start solids later can feed themselves and are not as likely to have allergic reactions to foods.

6 comments:

The Gomez Family said...

Yep...i waited until the boys were 6 months old to start introducing solids. I was told that delaying the intro of solids until then would help with the continuation of breastfeeding. The more solids introduced into the diet of the baby will make the baby feel more full and less likely to nurse. This can lead to breast milk reduction because the baby will not be nursing as much.
I nursed Ales until he was 16mths old and Enzo until 18mths old and it was well worth it.
Now...it is not unheard of to give a test test to some of the foods at around 5-6 months old, but to have it as a regular part of their diet will reduce the amount of time you are nursing with the baby. For some people this works out because they have to work.
Thanks for the great info on delaying solids...:)

Glum Betty said...

I put Phoenix on solids at 4 months because he was already 25 lbs and would eat like a freaking horse. The solids helped stop him from waking up 5 times a night and he didn't react badly. With Theron I pumped for 6 months before introducing solids and he was fine with that. I would at least wait another month and see how his temperment is and if he can handle it or not.
Jess

Angela said...

I started Nathan on rice cereal at 3mos and started fruits and veggies at 4mos just like you. He seemed to enjoy the new food variety and could handle swallowing the solids at that age. I also was working full-time when Nathan was a baby. With Maddie I waited longer because obviously she had no desire to start solids until 4 - 5mos of age. Plus I was home full-time so my milk supply was much better because I pumped less and nursed more.

I have a friend whose DH is a Dr. They decided to wait the full 6mos because "That's what the AAP recommends." Yet they still want to turn their 2yo FF even though I tell them the AAP recommends "RF to the height/weight limit of the seat." Nothing like picking and choosing which guidelines you are going to follow. But I digress.

My sister on the other hand started rice cereal at 4 weeks b/c that's what my mom did with us and that's what my mom told her to do. I was just appalled because neither of her children could even swallow the stuff at that age. I guess she fell for the old wives tale that it will help your baby sleep through the night sooner (maybe for a bigger/older baby, but not a newborn). Obviously it's a load of crap b/c my niece slept 6 hour stretches at 3 weeks and my nephew didn't sleep through the night until he was 8mo. To this day my niece is a better sleeper and my nephew is an early riser...it's just how they are wired.

I say go with your gut. If you want to wait...then wait. If you want to start solids now, then go ahead. You got to do what feels right to you =) Although I'm thinking I'll be waiting closer to the 6mo mark with #3 just b/c of all the weight gain/feeding issues we have had with Maddie.

Katrina said...

I have never introduced solids until at least 6 months of age. Not because I read anything or was told anything...but because it was just easier on me not to!! Ha -- how's that for honesty...but seriously...it's true. Breastmilk is FREE, breastmilk can travel everywhere with me and not go bad, get cold, run out.....it was just easier for me. My babies have always been very chubby and healthy and there was no reason (for me) to start them on solids. I co-sleep, so sleeping through the night has never been an issue. (baby always sleeps through the night when I'm next to him/her) Avery was the only one that I didn't start solids on until she was 9 months old. She exclusively breastfed until then. No real reason except that when at 6 months I tried to give her solids, she wasn't interested in the least. So... I just waited until she started showing interest.

It's interesting to read all the facts on delaying solids until 6 months. I never knew those things! Just goes to show that even going on baby #9 I still have quite a few things to learn :)

Thanks for the info!

Angela said...

I was just reading my May issue of Parenting (I think it was May) at Nathan's Karate/Gymnastics class this evening and there was a whole article about myths involved with feeding your baby. The interesting thing it mentioned was that rice cereal doesn't have to be baby's first food, nor does it have to be fruits and veggies. It actually suggested trying meats first since by 6mos of age baby's iron and zinc stores may be getting low and meat has a lot of both of these minerals.

Here's the online link to the article I read:

http://www.parenting.com/gallery/Baby/The-Truth-About-Feeding-Your-Baby-1000021563;jsessionid=39B20E38E8B7DD91F4CE0FCE1D60474D.pa11_parenting

Laura said...

Yeah - we waited till 6 months with Logan due to the recommendations and will do so the same with Taran.