Thursday, October 23, 2008

Stupid in America

I've been doing a lot of research trying to figure out the best thing to do for Katie regarding her schooling. I came across this video and am just speechless. It's long but VERY worth watching.

5 comments:

Angela said...

Thanks for sharing. Very eye-opening. I always thought middle and high school was when things started to go downhill for kids academically as well, which is why I would be okay with sending my kids to public elementary school, but not necessarily for the upper grades. I just have concerns about them getting a quality, well-rounded home school education once they hit those upper grades since I obviously won't have a science lab in my home...LOL!!! I'm sure if I did the research there are probably some sort of local enrichment programs for home schooled kids.

One issue I have is that I don't think it's fair to put all the blame on the teachers. I think that even if your kids go to public school parents should be involved in their children's education. Maybe it's just my perception, but a lot of parents just expect the teachers to do all the work and just sit back and don't take an active role in educating their kids. Plus the teenage years are notorious for being the big "rebellion" years so it only makes sense why we get outperformed in the later years.

Guess it's time to move to Belgium, huh?

Laura said...

The reason we will in the town we do is for education reasons - the town has some of the best public schools in the area.

Katrina said...

Anglea has a point -- parental involvement is so important. How about that woman who was complaining that her 18 year old still cannot read. Uh...hello...where were YOU? I would be able to tell if my second grader could not read yet. Or my 4th grader. Or my 6th grader. I mean, where was she during all his elementary years and junior high school years...how did it get to the senior year mark and he still not know how to read well? Surely he would have learned to read better if she took some time to help him with flash cards, reading to him every night, etc.

No, it's not entirely the teachers to blame.

Anonymous said...

Hey Christine! Wow I watched the video. It seemed like they were blaming all the teachers when clearly there are some amazing teachers out there! And what the other 2 ladies said is true. If a parent is involved in there child's education then they will be fine! A parent is the first and most important teacher a child has! If there is absolutely no support at home then yes that child will struggle.
NEISD does have school choice. A parent can choose to take their child anywhere in the district. Whatever you decide to do your kiddos will turn out fine because you are a caring and very involved parent! Good luck and dont take the entire video to be true for every school. They didnt showcase any good public schools besides where they let the kids tape.
-Lisa (marie's sister-in-law)

Eileen said...

Wow! Great video! I agree, competition would change everything; good teachers would be hired and bad teachers would be fired. But parents have to unite to make their voices heard, if change is going to happen. And their voices have to be louder than the teachers union's voice. I think change is inevitable, since federal & state officials have to compete for our vote, they will eventually have to listen. I'm going to forward this video to Anna. Thanks for the info.