I apologize in advance that this will probably be long, rambling and boring. I just have some things weighing on my mind that I need to get out. The thing that is conflicting me is Katie's school. Last year we tried homeschooling and it worked wonderfully in the beginning when I had the time to put into it. Kaleb wasn't born yet, I hadn't started Hip Monkey and I could actually devote a good chunk of time each day to homeschooling. Katie was happy and learning and I loved it as well. The relaxed pace of our days, the time spent together as a family, the freedom to be able to go places during the week days, I truly loved it. Then in 2nd semester it all just went downhill. I decided to start a new business which consumed nearly all of my time, Kaleb was born and all the demands of a newborn came along with him. Between the 2 little ones and trying to start and run a new business with ZERO help, I just didn't have any time to put towards Katie's schooling. I would try to get her to read or do worksheets while I worked, but without my supervision she would fight me on it and stall and not do the work and I'd end up getting mad at her and it would just turn into this negative dynamic between us and we'd both be frustrated and short with each other. I decided then that homeschooling just wasn't working and that we'd put her in school in the fall. So we did, and while I've had mixed feelings about it all along, things are definitely taking a turn for the worse. Aside from hating the rushed mornings, the drop off, the pick up, hardly ever seeing Katie anymore, now I'm concerned about the quality of the education she is receiving there. The school is really small which is what initially attracted me to it but now I'm thinking maybe it's a little too small. The 3rd grade only has 6 kids so they decided to combine it with 2nd grade which also has 6 kids. 12 kids in all isn't that much and still smaller than most public school classrooms. The problem is that I'm not sure how much time the teacher has to help and work with Katie when trying to teach 2 different grades. Katie has been coming home with a lot of mistakes on her papers, more than I have ever seen before. Yesterday she brought home a math paper that was only half finished, I asked her why she didn't finish it and she said the teacher only gives them 2 minutes to do the paper and she doesn't know how to do it. I went over the concept with her for a few minutes until she "got it" and then asked her to try the paper again and she was easily able to do it. I asked her why she didn't ask her teacher how to do it if she was having a problem and she said that she's not allowed to ask questions because the teacher is busy teaching the 2nd grade while the 3rd graders do their work. WTF?! She can't ask questions?? I've been thinking pretty seriously about it and I'm starting to feel like she is only getting half a teacher - yet we are paying full tuition! So I'm starting to feel a little concerned about the quality of education she is getting there.
I've also been thinking a lot about how much my situation has changed since last Spring. I now have a full time nanny to help me with the little ones. Kaleb is getting older and easier now than when he was a newborn. I have Marie helping with all the customer service work. I have a LOT more free time now than I did last Spring when I decided I couldn't continue to homeschool. Couple this with the increasing dissatisfaction I am having with her current school and now I'm starting to wonder if we should give homeschooling another shot? I'm so torn about this. She seems to like her school, although I sat in her room last night with her for about an hour talking and she said that she would much rather go back to homeschooling and wouldn't miss her school at all. This is tearing me up so much, I literally feel like I have a knot in my stomach. I just want to do what is best for her and for all of us but I just don't know what that is. I hate to keep moving her around, the poor kid has never finished an entire year at the same school. But on the other hand, I don't want to keep her in less than ideal situation if I could offer her something better at home. I really do miss homeschooling a lot and think that with the current situation I would be able to give it the time required for it to be fun and sucessful. So, do I pull her out? Do I wait till the end of the semester? Do I let her finish the year and then consider homeschooling for next year? Ugh. I wish I just knew what the right thing to do is that will be best for her now and in the long run.
5 comments:
Well, you knew I'd have a comment on this one ;)
I'm a homeschooler AND have children also in the school system.(my older ones)
I believe that the best time to homeschool is through elementary. This is when they are learning their study habits, the core concepts such as basic math computations, reading and writing, and they are still so little that it really benefits them emotionally to be at home with family the majority of their day. (my opinion, of course)
So, that being said, I will admit that every single year when school starts up....we start our homeschool week and I seriously call my husband every year and tell them, "that's it -- I'm putting them all in school next week. This isn't working. I don't know what I was thinking. I'm signing them up for school on Monday." and he always says, "Whatever you think is best, if that's what you want to do, I know they will be fine...." he never argues or tries to convince me that homeschooling is best or anything. He just knows that this is how I feel during my first week back to school. Because I get so discouraged! How to get it all done? Would they be better off in school? Would they learn more in a classrom of 30 kids verses at home with me with all the interruptions that they get with their little siblings running around? Plus, I run a business from home, too -- no nanny, no housecleaner. How can I possibly do this homeschooling business and do it well enough so that I feel my kids are benefitting?
Every year I second-guess myself. Then the second week rolls around and I'm fine.
So if you feel in your gut that Katie should be homeschooling...here's what you do:
Lesson plans. They are key. Write down a long-term one (what you need her to learn by the end of the school year -- a great book for this is "Learning Year By Year" at least I think that's the title, but it tells you what they should be learning in each grade level.) and then make monthly and weekly goals, and finally daily lesson plans. This has helped me a lot, beacuse it's already written out what they need to accomplish each day.
I divide our morning up:
8:00am to 8:15 --math with mom (that means I sit there and explain the new concept, then assign the independent work.)
8:30 - 9:00 independent math work.
9:00-9:15 English with mom
9:15 to 9:45 independent English work
9:45 snack and break (playtime...and here is where I take some time to do office realted things or housework)
10:30 journal writing
10:15 Spelling lessons (usually one page in their spelling book, or a test on their words)
Okay, so you get the idea... but the schedule isn't set in stone, it's just a guide to go by. Kids thrive on a schedule, I really believe that. And I find my most chaotic days are those when we don't stick to a schedule. When we do, we are done with school by lunchtime. It's great.
The thing with your situation is that Katie is actually saying she'd rather homeschool. What a compliment to you!! She loves her home, her family, and wants home to be her learning grounds and you to be her teacher. I think that's awesome. If you have a nanny there everyday, this can help as well. Perhaps the nanny can take the boys out of the house for an hour while you instruct Katie on her lessons for the day. Even if they are just down in the basement area while you and Katie are upstairs, that's helpful.
I know there are days when I "fight" with my two that I am homeschooling. I get on their case when they goof off instead of doing their work, and that happens when I am not sitting there with them...same as in a classroom when the teacher steps out for a minute or two. The kids always goof off then, don't they? That's the time that they start chit-chatting with friends, or the boys will shoot spitballs, things like that. Well, it's the same here. It's always best if I'm in the same room with them. They are only kids, you know...not college students who are self-disciplined :) So, if I'm doing laundry then I take the clothes in the homeschooling area to fold them. I have set up a changing table in that room as well, so I can tend to the babies there when I need to. We are moving my home office into our back house which is a 300 sq ft room, and I'm going to set up an extra homeschooling area in there on the other side of the room so that if I need to, I can work while they are in the room doing their work.
The most important part of homeschooling is not to stress out. A bad day homeschooling is better than a good day in a classroom with one teacher to 20 kids. I know in your case there are only 12 kids, but still. It sounds like you are paying a lot of money for Katie to be instructed a little bit of time and left to do independent work the majority of time. Heck, she could do that at home...and if she has a question at home, you will not tell her that's against the rules to ask you questions (what is UP with that teacher?!! Of course they should be able to ask questions! Sheesh!)
Anyway, as always this is just my two cents. She will be fine either way, because you are there to help her and to reinforce what she's been instructed in school. The thing is...if she is coming home to learn her lesson with you because her teacher hasn't the time to individually instruct her -- then what are you paying for??!!!
Trust your instincts. I would definitely feel a little apprehensive about the issue of combining classes and paying full tuition. That does not benefit anyone. I say you pull her out and homeschool. In addition, you could also hire a part time tutor for some of the subjects and/or sign her up for enrichment courses through a tutor center like Kumon, Sylvan, etc. These centers supplement the instruction she would be receiving at home.
Have you talked to her teacher about these recent developments with Katie and your concerns? That way you have at least given her teacher an opportunity to explain what is going on, and you will feel better about going back to homeschooling if that's what you decide to do.
That's a tough call, but you got some great advice and tips from Trina. Best of luck with the decision and let us all know what you decide.
i think you should first talk to her teacher, give it another week or two and see how her papers look like after the talk. if that still doesn't work, try public school for the rest of the year. you've never given it a shot, just try it and see. that way you at least tried it and if it doesn't work out, then keep her home. try all your options till you find one that works.
i always thought that my kids would go to private school and they all started out in private school when i eventually saw that public school was just as good and they were still coming home with good grades. we've been real lucky to have small schools near by and tanner had 13 kids in her class last year. i think you should give your public school a visit and see what class she would go into and take a look at the facilities. you might like what you see, if not, then homeschool her.
let us know what you end up doing and what the teacher says after you call her.
I would definitely talk to the teacher first to get the full picture before you make any decisions on the future.
Good luck!
Post a Comment